Saturday, September 11, 2010

Life is different but kind of the same

I wonder why we feel the need to explain ourselves to our journals, to our blogs, to our mothers, why we haven't been keeping up contact. Stuff happens. You get it.

After having taught my English course for three weeks, I realized that I had been living in an insane upside-down world for nearly the last year, and decided to quit my day job. Thass right: I did the unthinkable: not out of belief that my (obviously) unlimited powers of English instruction were so unparalleled that I could quit and become Germany's Next English-Teaching Model, but because I had had. Enough.

I've never just up and quit a job like that. I either have something else already lined up, or am leaving the country, or get fired. (cue mirthless laughter) Ha. Ha. But this time was different. This time it was like leaving an abusive lover, one who, while lying and scheming and cheating and beating would pepper his socially unacceptable behavior with more conventional niceties, like lying politely, scheming conspiratorally with you (so that you wouldn't believe he was scheming against you) and claiming to cheat in your best interest.

I found myself working illegally for no good reason, as I am married to a German citizen and have no need to lie to the tax office.

I found myself being literally assualted by my boss, and not because I couldn't find anything better and feared being thrown back on the apple cart I'd been smuggled in on.

I found myself busting my ass and not even getting the respect of a full time employee, and I don't have any masochistic tendencies (that I know of).

So now I am footloose and fancy-free (whatever the hell that is supposed to mean) with a wad of cash burning a hole in my bank account. The jobless panic hasn't settled in yet.

So, diary/blog/mom, sorry I haven't been around. I've had other fish frying my brain for the past year though.

I'll try to call before your next birthday.

3 comments:

Stephanie Faris said...

Me too. I've just been so busy with revisions and work and marriage and...life...that I haven't had as much time to blog lately. I feel bad about it but hopefully life will calm down a little soon!

Crafty Chick said...

My goal when I moved was to post something weekly I noticed I have 7 posts far short of my weekly goal which should have started in February. Life is crazy busy and twisty turny and wonderful. Hugs homey. Check yo bookface

The Candid Yank said...

@ steph: wow, I really have been away a while! Knew you were engaged but didn't know you were already married! Congratulations! :)

Crafty K: keep on yelping so I can know what to look for when I go to Arizona! I gotcha bookface right heeeah xo