Saturday, July 25, 2009

I love going to the gym. No, scratch that, I love working out at the gym. Cycling there in the rain is not my favorite part of it.

Tons of people smarter, more active, and more creative than my good self despise going to the gym. They say it's boring, repetitive, rote. They'd rather jog outdoors, play tennis, swim, rock climb or hike.

I love all of those things too (with the exception of jogging--bleh) but they're not suitable as regular, 3-5x a week workouts for a Neurotic Nelly like me. The reason both the 'Stoph and I like gymming it up is exactly because it is so repetitive and predictable.

It's never raining in the gym. No one (usually) is staring at you in the gym. Everyone else is sweating and grunting; no one is picnicking or playing acoustic guitar or sunbathing. You don't have to be rich or buy a nice outfit or be fearless when it comes to heights or buy any special equipment. You don't have to wax your bikini line or smell like chlorine for the next two days. You never have to wonder if you got a good enough workout, if you burned enough calories, whether your ratio of aerobic to anaerobic was correct. Working out in the gym is methodic and efficient for people with specific goals and a fear of embarrassing themselves in public.

Besides the convenience and comfort of working out in the gym, there are also a ton of steroid-inflated, full-body waxed, orange-tanned men to stare at and you hardly see any of those while rock climbing or mountain biking.

Eventually, I want to get to the point where I am working out occasionally in the gym and getting most of my exercise by doing some cool outdoorsy type sport... but not until I look good in a leotard. Looks like I'll be regularly hitting the gym until, oh, 2016. Sigh.

1 comment:

Crafty Chick said...

I am changing gyms. So this blog is fitting. I am joing the gym that is 2 blocks from my house, has a pool and potentially bacteria filled hot tub, classes, weights all the good stuff. Only caveat is that the lecherous Landlord works out there as well. i am hoping we will be passing ships since my schedule is much different than his.

My current gym is 2 blocks from work and filled with 18-20 somethings that make me feel large and old. So i need a new venue with regular folk my age.

I currently walk, for an hour after dinner 4 days a week. But that will come to a screeching halt once it starts raining.

I am still scared to ride my bike, weird right. Well my neighborhood is somewhat bike friendly but people look at you like you are a nut job. Which I cant stand. And its all hills. And once again once we hit the rainy season its a wrap.