Thursday, July 9, 2009

Finally Cut Off

I hate that I had to cut my cousin, once the person closest to me in the world, off my friends' lists.

But how pathetic is that?

True, I live on the other side of the world from her, but it still seems so petty, so passive-aggressive, to show someone your displeasure by cutting them off a fake fucking networking website. It's ridiculous. I feel ridiculous.

I can't be alone in this experience. There must be someone else in the universe who has tried and tried to reach out to someone, to keep a relationship going, to realize they are never going to be met halfway. Even a quarter of the way would suffice.

I think now I will tell you a bit about my cousin. As briefly as possible.

She is 25 days older than me, which means she is going to be 28 in a few weeks. She is not only unemployed, but refuses to get a job, because it interferes with her "kickin it time". She sleeps on the couch of any minor acquaintance with food in the fridge, but the bed of a guy who's careless with cash is preferred. Rather than spend any appreciable amount of time attempting to improve her situation, she lives off handouts and a meager amount of tips earned by dancing burlesque once a week. A mutual friend of ours is running out of patience after having spent endless amounts of blood, sweat and tears trying to help the girl. Now she is about to be ejected off said friend's couch.

I would call my cousin at what for her was about noon--nine pm my time. She'd be sleeping. I'd almost beg, "can't you talk just for a little bit?" and she would mumble, "call me in a few hours."

"But in a few hours I have to go to sleep. I have to get up early for work."

"Well, try another time." Click.

As I write this down, I realize how sad and pathetic all us suckers in her life are. The people she makes time for are the scenesters, the ones with money, the ones with drugs, the ones with liquor cabinets and hot tubs in their condos. If she knew anyone in the "business" she would be the world's most notorious Industry Ho. She latches onto people who can get her ahead in the fields of getting wasted and buying clothes.

The rest of us fall by the wayside.

Like a junkie, who would steal from his own grandmother, who doesn't even recognize his oldest friend as he begs from him on the street, my cousin has turned into someone beyond help, someone who must either hit rock bottom and rebuild, or fall into that pit and perish.

The cocaine, the booze, the reefer, the parties, I introduced her to all of that, and now I can't help but feel a pang of regret when I look back on those early days of our adulthood, when her biggest vice was opening her legs for whoever asked. I should have known then, that she would grasp for anything that felt good, anything to distract her from the inner turmoil she so faithfully drags along.

Her life knows no stages. When I left the United States, we were 23 years old. At the time, I reasoned that while six years is a long time to be out of a job, 23 is also young enough, resilient enough. A 23-year-old can explain away a six-year gap on a resume by claiming any number of things, but a 28-year-old will be harder pressed to explain what she's done with the last ten years of her adult life.

What have you done in the last ten years, cousin?

  • Stayed in Seattle and as good as refused to learn about anything else
  • Drank yourself half to death
  • Snorted yourself stupid
  • Got fired from every job you held for two months at a time, for poor attendance and atrocious work ethic, then complained aloud about unfair treatment
  • Made no effort to either gainfully employ or educate yourself
  • Burned so many bridges you deserve an award for outstanding achievement
  • Alienated everyone who loves you

I was the one who always understood, who always forgave, who always excused. I pointed out your thoughtful and philosphical sides to the ones who claimed you were nothing but a brainless, ignorant, gold-digging whore from the ghetto.

That is over now.

Get your shit together... you disgust me.

Goodbye.

4 comments:

ian in hamburg said...

Does she have any redeeming qualities at all? I mean, it's good you're not in any kind of drama with this person, because those kind can suck the life out of you if you let them, but do you think she has the ability to turn her life around?

Crafty Chick said...

This sounds and feels very familiar to my farewell to my father. Drugs, alcohol, wasted youth etc..

My Mom told me where he was living recently I was like eh, good for him. Tell me when he is one place for more than 9 months retains employment and burns nary one bridge and MAYBE we will talk.

My dad hasn't turned his life around in 51 years... Not that your cousin can't but she is treading a familiar path that only life altering accidents, disease etc can sometimes bring about change.

Sidebar and a little ligher note: Heiffa why don't we have each others email address and not for the purposes of forwards about Michael Jackson. Mine is SassyK**W**@gmail.com (you know what goes in the asterisks.)

The Candid Yank said...

Ian, she has a couple of redeeming qualities. She is very, very smart, and a fuckton of fun. People love to be around her because she is such a blast, but anyone with sense notices quickly that they are always picking up the tab. Some suckers will pay her way for years. Does she have the ability to turn her life around? Sure. I have seen her put a whole lot of effort into other things that she really really wants. Unfortunately at the moment what she really really wants is to party. Forever.

Sassy, I have some papa stories of my own. Would love to email with you but girl I sure do not know what the W** stands for in your email addy. The K i got.

Crafty Chick said...

keewee