Tuesday, June 16, 2009

There Goes the Neighborhood

On my other blog I wrote yesterday about prejudices against Islam. I wrote it there instead of here because this blog has about 3.5 smarty-pants readers, whereas the other has hundreds, many of whom could stand a breath of fresh air or two. Another reason I posted it there is because I think there are a lot of people in the United States who need a reality check about their attitudes. Not that my attitudes are all that great. But to be sure, living abroad teaches you a bit about the world, and a lot about yourself.

I digress. <--are we ever going to come up with a less cliché way to say "I am babbling on and now want to change the subject?" Something a little more refined than "anyhoo"? Ahh, fuck it. Anyhoo. So the other night the 'Stoph and I are dead to the world asleep when someone urgently, obnoxiously leans on the doorbell. And we don't have a nice pleasant "ding dong" leave-it-to-Beaver-keeping-up-with-the-Jonses type modest and melodious doorbell, either. Ours is more of a prison yard siren, or public school recess kind of screaming metal alarm. Danger. It does not occur to me that a friend in need is standing on our doorstep, because no one who knows me would dare to show up without calling if even they were mortally injured. Whoever is at our door can be up to no good. Heart thumping wildly, I shake the 'Stoph.

"Did you hear that?" <--the President of Japan heard it "Mfmblxzzrrphrm." <--affirmative. But he's injured at the moment, so it was up to me to go tiptoe quietly to the door. I peek out the peephole and see no one. Curious. So I go window on the other side of the apartment and sure as apples is apples, there are three young men standing across the courtyard, smoking cigarettes and gesturing toward our building. "Luckily" they did not seem particularly interested in our apartment, but I noticed that they seemed to be conferring only about ground-floor homes. If you've followed my other blog you've likely read about the last time someone attempted to break into our apartment. That guy got away, but I was determined these dicks would not. "Call the police. NOW." The 'Stoph called the cops and the useless bastages showed up about half an hour later, unenthusiastically asked a couple of bland questions, then reluctantly bumbled around the courtyard a bit with flashlights, and left. I stood watch from the balcony until half an hour after daybreak and then went to bed. Relaying the skeleton of this story to a couple of friends, I heard, "I reckon if you moved out of Neukölln you wouldn't get hassled so much."

This is insulting.

The reason we get "hassled" so much is not because of our geographical location, but our physical one. We live on the ground floor in an apartment complex without a security gate. Unlike most residential buildings in the city, any old fool can waltz into our courtyards whenever he likes and case the joint at his leisure.

What my friend's comment meant was, "get out of the poor brown part of town and everything will peaches and cream with sprinkles on top."

I am sick to death of the Turk hate here. I don't want to say that this person hates Turks in the same way a lot of Germans hate Turks, but she, like most white people in this city, view them as undesirable thugs. I have heard of "nice areas" being turned into cesspools of... what, exactly? as soon as a döner shop moves onto the block. What you meant were there were a bunch of extravagant brown people standing around on an otherwise unremarkable street in large groups talking and laughing loudly, listening to "ethnic" music and reminding you of your own plain, stale, dull, uptightness. Hmm, where have I heard this story before?

This town is full, and I mean FULL of petty crime. Anywhere you go, there are bars on windows, graffiti on everything, and bicycles ripped to shreds for parts. Nowhere in this city is safe from vandalism or theft, even in the nicest and hippest parts of town.

What I like about my neighborhood is that there is very little pretense. No one here can pretend the Turks, Syrians, Lebanese, Sudanese, Gambians, Eritreans, Poles and Bulgarians do not exist, or that they do not work, or that they do not speak German. I love my neighborhood and I feel comfortable here.

In 2006, I stayed at my mother's house for a few weeks prior to coming to Germany. It was the first time in my life I had ever lived in a predominantly white neighborhood. I was not comfortable there. I'm not saying I don't like white people, but it was clear that they didn't much care for me. Daily I commuted on a crowded bus with standing room only and not even half-dead, arthritic old ladies would sit down on the vacant seat next to me. That was a shocking dose of reality.

I like my neighborhood because even though sometimes Turkish kids try to break into my home, they will never hesitate to sit in my lap on the train. It's a small sacrifice, really.

5 comments:

ian in hamburg said...

Gotta link to your other blog?

cheers,
ian in hamburg

(reader 4.5)

The Candid Yank said...

the other blog is on myspace and I am currently doing my damndest to keep my two groups of readers separate. Why, I'm not entirely sure. This is the blog that will see the most new posts from now on though so it's not like you're missing out on much. Just me in the first few years of my blogging trying to figure out what the fuck blogging is.

i'm glad for reader 4.5! welcome!

Crafty Chick said...

I was reading an article in the Philly Metro Today.

http://www.metro.us/us/article/2009/06/17/22/2208-82/index.xml

Berlin on the Cheap. Where to stay for 30 euros a day.. blah blah blah this is one of the lines from the article: Nice neighborhoods to stay in are Kreuzberg, Friedrichshain and Prenzlauer Berg.

I read that immediately as White Neighborhoods.

There are certain neighborhoods in Philly that people recommend because they are "safer". Expensive, don't mean safe. Especially when Center City philly is the mecca a rapists, vandalism and auto theft.

Closer to the action, work, train and or plane, yes. Safer, less hassle, HELL NO.

I live in one of the best, most diverse neighborhoods in town. The nearest bar to me is not a WHITE or BLACK bar. Its an everybody bar. Grocery store, every body shops there. Doesn't have some random exclusively latino section, or just sell neckbones, and Tahitian Treat(super sweet cheap carbonated fruit punch)

I remember when I first moved to Philly I asked people, where are the Latinos and the Asians. I was told the following.: They are in North Philly, South West and the North East.

Coming from neighborhoods and friend bases where everybody is mixed up. I was kinda floored.

My Mom raised me multi-culti and that is what I am accustomed to. You will hear me say, that is too black too white, too whatever, because for me it is. Tooo much of one thing, I need my neighborhood mixed, jumbled and not in denial about what it is.

Crafty Chick said...

Oh WOW. I am sorry. that comment is a blog in and of itself.

The Candid Yank said...

shoot mama, you know who you're talking to, the queen of blog-long comments. blog away.

you're pretty much on-point with your deductions. P-berg and F-hain are so white that the anti-fas have still not finished chasing all the nazis out of them and although attacks on brown people are occuring more and more infrequently, they still happen often enough that I watch myself very carefully in these neighborhoods at night. Kreuzberg still has plenty of Turks on the periphery but most of the places where a tourist can lodge are in hipster hotspots.

i completely feel you about a swank neighborhood not being the safest... its not like i constantly look over my shoulder but I am never deluded into thinking "it couldn't happen here," wherever I am.