Sunday, August 16, 2009

No One Cares About Your Birthday

My 28th birthday is coming up, and I couldn't be any more underwhelmed.

I mean, seriously, who even cares about their birthday at this age? What do you really want? A pile of elaborately wrapped gifts, a sombrero on your head and ten Viva Mexico employees singing Happy Birthday all out of tune at you, and a cake? I mean, who even eats cake anymore?

I think the last year I really gave a shit about my birthday was the year I turned 23. I made flyers and told everyone to show up to a club where DJ Riz was performing, waltzed in completely hammered 1.5 hours late, got wasted on free liquor and (I think) did a bunch of drugs. My skirt fell off while I was dancing and I scampered off the dance floor, a weaving, carmel-colored streak of thundering cellulite and pure embarrassment, to go figure out pinning it back up. Got in a cab and went to go snort some more illicit substances. The end.

Working on your birthday is the best, especially if you work retail or customer service, and even better if you work somewhere familial like the Pike Place Market. Go to work, tell everyone it's your birthday and get free shit all day long. I think I ate about 24 free meals on my 25th and went to the bar with a dollar, with which I stumbled home, shitfaced from free drinks. Wonderful.

My cousin, on her 25th birthday, which was exactly 25 days before mine, decided to throw a "Silver Anniversary" party, where she wore, and requested that her guests wear, silver outfits. I think I wore a blue t-shirt with a pocket on the breast and a patterned skirt. She threw the party at the same place I would have my party a few weeks later, the Noc Noc on 2nd Avenue. Unlike me on my birthday, she decided to get mouthy with the bartenders when they were tired of her pops playing shitty 80s and 90s chart music and told her politely that they wanted to put on their resident DJ so they could actually make some money that evening. The result of her temper tantrum was that she was 86ed for life out of the place until she apologized. The reason for the conniption fit? It was her birthday, and anyone who didn't agree that the world should come screeching to a complete halt on her special day was deserving of any abuse she decided to heap upon them.

Needless to say, I held my party in the same place with no troubles, no mention of cousin, and zero guilt that she assed herself out of being able to attend.

This year, she went again to great lengths to secure a spot for her party and was ejected from it before the night was over. Evidently this time around it was about her guests' poor behavior, but I still find it mind-blowingly lame to get kicked out of your own party at the age of 28. We's not chillens anymore. Get it together.

The 'Stoph found that he had to work the closing shift on my birthday this year and told me that he would do his best to switch days with someone else. I told him in all earnestness that that would not be necessary. He told me that he was not stupid enough to believe the words that had just come out of my mouth and have effectively fucked himself over with no one else to blame when my incredulity-turned-inconsolable-wrath was visited upon him. I didn't know I was perceived as such a diva.

On Thursday evening I plan on having a nice, quiet citronella-candlelight picnic with a couple of friends, going to sleep, and trying not to wake up in tears that I am finally, fully, firmly in my late 20s. I will wear my regular nun attire and do my best not to run out and purchase any knee-high boots or hot-pink mini skirts or put streaks in my hair or show up to any all-ages clubs or anything. I will have one foot closer to the grave and that is the end of it.

But on second thought, some cake might be nice.

4 comments:

Crafty Chick said...

I am glad that The Stoph has chosen not to listen to you because I think he would have gotten an earful in all the languages in which you are moderately fluent.

Happy Early Birthday, pending I don't forget later.

Frenchie said...

I was going to send you a subscription to the O magasine for your b-day, lol....but since you don't want elaborated gifts I'll skip on it. Altough I might subscribe you one day as a punishment.... And don't worry about gething old, once you hit 30, then you'll feel young again. Cause then you'll be in you early 30...and everyone will say that you still look 28 !! So happy birth day. Hope you'll have a great pic-nic and that it wont rain. Of course I'll send you a b-day card on Facebook, that's the least I can do!!

Stephanie Faris said...

I think the older you get the less fanfare you want. Just a quiet evening with friends is better than anything you can imagine.

But you raise a good point -- this sense of entitlement people get on their birthdays because it's "their day." That's not quite how it works. The world doesn't suddenly stop and revolve around us on the anniversary of the day we're born, only to go back to ignoring us the next day!

SpinningLeese said...

I'm so happy to see that there are others out there that couldn't care less about the birthday thing.

I've never understood how people can turn into "birthday-zillas" just because they've aged another year. All I want to say to them is, "What is so great about your birthday? Big shit - you were born today. Do you think you're the only one that's ever been birthed?"

Great post.